Today was a nice 70deg day, so I was actually ably to get out a work all day!
I started out by finishing up the trailer brakes. I ran a 10awg wire from the rear of the truck to the blue wire from the brake controller following the wiring harness. Once up front, I soldered the wires together and shrink tubed them. I zip tied the new wire to the wiring harness. This sounds like a nice quick job, but I had the wonderful experience of working in 2″ of sandy mud the whole time! Everything around the shop was mud, so I just had to grin and bare it – and a lot of cussing! Once at the back of the truck, I added a 10awg, 2 pin quick connector by soldering a shrink tubing.
I hooked up to the car hauler and ran a brake power wire to the wiring box on the trailer. I hooked up the main brake cable to the truck using my adapter. I ran the brake power wire along the main cable and zip tied them together. I soldered the 2 pin quick connector to the end of the power wire and hooked them together. At first I thought the brakes weren’t working, so I pulled the trailer down the yard and pressed the manual brake button – the brakes locked up! I was actually surprised that this worked the first time!
The quick connects didn’t come with weather covers, so I made my own with shrink tubing – slide it down on the connector, add heat, press the ends together and snip to length!
Next, I moved on to installing the windshield washer. The bottle was covered with the overspray from a fire dept respray, so I had to use some paint thinner and a Scotch Brite pad to get as much of that off as possible. Then I mounted the bottle on the steering column. I ran the hose through the firewall beside the steering column.
I located the pump right under the lower left instrument panel Dzus fastener and drilled a 1/4″ hole and mounted it. I still have to go buy a spray nozzle and some more tubing before I can finish the install.
Lastly, I got under the truck and drilled out 2 more 1/2″ mounting holes for the trailer hitch and installed some spacers and bolts. I never really felt comfortable with the way the hitch was mounted before. Now it is EXTRA secure! While I was under there, I checked the spring mounting bolts for tightness and found 2 that were slightly loose and tightened them up.
Even though the trailer brakes are working now, I think later on I am going to install an actual 7 blade trailer plug in the hitch (it has a cutout and holes for one) that incorporates everything. That way I won’t need the adapter that plugs into the military trailer plug receptacle and the separate brake plug.